The How's and Why's

New Video Coming Soon...

Start Date:

March 15, 2015

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

TEST PREP and OVERCOMING ANXIETY!!!!



I started studying for my July 21 NPTE exam about 5 weeks ago!!!  This will be my 8th attempt.  I have had professionals examine my previous test results and no pattern has been found to where my weakness lies.  I miss questions all over the board which means I have limited knowledge everywhere or there is a more sinister issue going on like...test anxiety!!!
I didn't think I had test anxiety, even after my councilor said I did, and was even able to acquire for me special testing accommodations.
A few weeks ago I started studying with my best friend who is in PT school currently, and he was kind enough to offer his time to help me.  He is a very good test taker so we decided it would be beneficial to just study questions and how they are asked.  While studying questions he started asking questions, examining me, and talking about his personal experiences he has had with subtle anxiety and mental blocks that can seriously hinder test taking abilities.  The windows started to open and the light trickled into my realization that when I get to any question or information that I have a difficult time with or dislike, I get a tightness across my chest and my heart rate begins to increase.  I then start to subtly question and tell myself things like "how do I not know this", "what is wrong with me", and "this is a stupid test anyway".  Although I dislike the exam, thinking that and other negative questions increase my negative self talk which then closes down my subconscious, and conscious brain, and ultimately my thoughts to clearly focus on the task at hand.  
So my object is to apply the same process I have been using to achieve goals through use of the Law of attraction to get this exam passed!

Here are the steps I have been taking:

1.  Draw on the Powers of Heaven!  
I am a religious person and believe that through Faith all things can be accomplished.  I also believe that we must align our will with God's in order to accomplish all things He wants for us.  Through prayer I feel I am in accordance with God's will by trying to pass this exam.  We all have different trials that we must go through to become the best person we can.  This is a trial that can either bring me closer to, or further from Heavenly Father.  I choose to let it draw me closer.
In order to draw on the Powers of Heaven I have been reading three important resources.  The Book of Mormon, Bible, and a book by Grant Von Harrison titled "Drawing on the Powers of Heaven".  This has given me great insight into what I must do to increase my faith, improve my prayers, and better communicate questions and needs to my Heavenly Father.  I have learned that I must do everything I can to live the commandments of God and be as clean and good as I can, then use prayer and faith.  Then no matter what happens the right opportunity and success will come my way!                                                                    

2. Control my anxiety and create focus!  
I talked to a sport psychologist and he pointed out that when he trains his athletes to deal with stress and anxiety he has the focus on an external focus...usually a number.  He says the brain functions well with numbers, it is something it can focus on and understand as a measurement.  He said I should use my heart rate as my focus.  Use a chest strap monitor to determine my resting heart rate.  Wear the monitor when I go to study or take a practice exam and watch my heart rate.  If I see it increase, pay attention to how I feel and how my body responds (I won't have a heart rate monitor while I am in the exam so I need to be able to recognize how my body feels when anxiety and heart rate increases).  Then use my meditation techniques to calm my body and return focus to my mind.  This gives me an objective measure I can use to make sure I am staying calm.  During the test I can manually check my rate by feeling my pulse, use the wall clock to see how many beats in 10 seconds, and multiply that by 6.

3.  Positive Affirmation!!
Much of achieving great things, I believe, is overcoming the negative and limiting beliefs of our subconscious mind.  I prepared an affirmation statement for a positive change in my life and to help me reach goals.  So why not prepare one specific for this test.  I wrote up an affirmation statement that I read at least 1x per day.  I try to read it before I study and after I study as well.  I must convince my brain that it is capable of anything, especially passing this exam.
I wrote my statement on the back of my previous statement on a 3x5 card and then took a pic of it and stored it in my phone so I always have it with me.
I have all capabilities and knowledge to pass the physical therapy boards exam.  I have precise critical thinking skills that allow me to easily identify what is being asked in each question and what answer is correct.  I have a calmness and peace throughout my body and mind that allows me to have exceptional focus and reasoning while I study and take the exam.  I love studying and preparing for the exam.  It is exciting and I easily recall all numbers and information.  I am worthy and capable of achieving anything I desire.  I demand a passing score of 80% from my subconsious and consious mind on the July 21, 2015 NPTE. 

4.  Study Happy
The last thing I have been really trying to work on is to enjoy what I am studying.  I have been over the information so many times and am so bitter and tired with the process, that having a good attitude going into studying is really difficult.  However, I know that the more you enjoy a topic the easier it is to study and to remember the information.  So I have been trying to approach it differently, thanks to some good council from my councilor.  I try to apply every bit of information to people I have worked with or could potentially work with.  By trying to make it "real"  it makes it more interesting to study and helps my attitude stay positive.  I have not mastered this by any means but I'm sure trying.


No comments:

Post a Comment