The How's and Why's

New Video Coming Soon...

Start Date:

March 15, 2015

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

I'm A Dot.Com

HOW TO TRANSFER A BLOGSPOT TO A DOT COM



I wanted my blog to look a little more legit.  I am working on changing up the format, but I really wanted to have the blogspot become a dot com.  So I started digging and these are the steps I took to make it happen!

1.  Create a Domain name:
There are quite a few hosting services out there, each one claiming it has the better deal.  Some of the major companies are 

How do you decide which company to go with?  I talked to a couple computer guys and from what I was told you will find similar prices and a small variety of features, which you can read some reviews on here!  I decided to go with a company that was well known and known for good customer support!
I chose 1and1 for this website, and for my business I just started I set it up through Godaddy.com.  So far I have been more impressed with the usability and set up of Go Daddy.  1 and 1 hasn't been bad by any means, I just prefer the Go Daddy.  I purchased a website creator through Go Daddy and that has been very user friendly as well, the total cost between the domain and website creator being only $23 annually.  I have very little knowledge about websites, but with the website designer package I bought with Go Daddy I have very pleased on how easy it is to make it look nice.
Once you decide on a company to go through you need to sign up as a new customer.  
During this process you will need to create a unique website name and decide if you want a .com, .net, or any other.  The difference really is the price.  The . com seemed to be the most expensive, but only ran $8-10 annually!

2.  Set up the Domain for Your blog
  1. Go to your blog and click on Basics under the Settings tab. In the "Publishing" section, click the link to add a custom domain.

    Add a custom domain

     
  2. Type the url of the domain you've purchased, keeping in mind that it must begin with www in order to work.
  3. Click Save.
  4. You should see an error, and two CNAMEs listed below. Each CNAME is composed of two parts - Name, Labelor Host and Destination, Target or Points to. The first CNAME is the same for everyone, Name being "www" and Destination "ghs.google.com." The second CNAME is particular to your blog and your Google Account, and is therefore different for each person.
You can check out more steps and the website I used to further clarify the process HERE

3. Create a C-Name Record for your Custom Domain
I found this website through blogger that was the resource that helped me get through the seemingly difficult process.  Although it appeared to be intimidating, I found that if I carefully followed the each step I was able to finally get it done.  Follow the link HERE

After following these 3 steps I went back to my blog, back to Settings > Basics, then I typed in my dot com website under Blog Address, in my case www.howimadeamillion.com, and clicked Save!  The 3rd step is the step of confirming you are the owner of the domain name.  So when i went back to my blog I could save it as a re-directed address through my domain name that was confirmed to belong to me.  
The key was to be careful to follow each step.  The steps weren't perfectly written, but It was close enough that even I could get through it and make it happen!

Don't forget to Subscribe to my blog for more posts and updates on how to progress, achieve goals, and business tips and ideas as I learn them

No comments:

Post a Comment